Friday, March 14, 2014

Hutch - before and after

So I am LOVING my new red dining room, but after looking around I had a thought. My hutch in the dining room is blue...

 I have really enjoyed my hutch for many years. I found it in the trash a long time ago. All it needed was a little fixing and a coat of paint. ( It always amazes me what people will throw away!)


 I had painted it blue which was fine, but I thought I might change it to RED! So I did. First I took everything off. I laid paper all around and on the floor and on the walls - I didn't feel like moving the whole thing so I painted it where it was. I sanded it all over- I wasn't changing the white so it was really only the sides and front. I gave it two coats of red paint - the same paint I used on the shelves. I did remove the drawers and the handles. It's much easier than trying to paint around them and it gives a nicer finish. When it was completely dry I went over the whole thing with a coat of stain. Stain gives it depth and provides a nice top coat so it won't chip. The only bad thing about the stain is it takes forever to dry - but it is worth it in the end. I love the way it turned out! :) I wish my pictures did it justice - it's not that bright! Don't be afraid to paint your furniture - I'm not....

 
Before...                                                                           After...                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to know what others think.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin